Benton County Parks & Trails
Benton County welcomes you to our quiet and serene natural areas, hiking and river trails, and campgrounds offer outstanding recreational opportunities. For More Parks and Trail Information, visit the Benton County Conservation website.
- Tobin Park Area : 68 acres next to Winegar Lake, as well as an overnight cabin available or use by organized groups, fishing, hunting, and hiking.
- Minne Estema Area : This historic area contains Indian Mounds and the remains of a resort hotel of the early 1900s. The area also provides fishing, camping, picnicking, playground equipment, a shelter house, well water, electrical lighting, rest rooms, and a boat landing.
- Cedar Valley Nature Trail : 10 miles of this trail connecting Waterloo and Cedar Rapids (52 total miles). This trail provides an excellent setting for bicycling, cross-country skiing, hiking and other trail activities.
- Polk Township Wildlife Area : This are contains a seven-acre lake for fishing and boating adjacent to Interstate 380.
- Rodgers Park : This 122-acre park contains a 27-acre lake, and a shower house facility. Other features include a beach area, shelter houses, playground, picnicking, camping, hiking, and fishing. Park ranger in residence.
- Dudgeon Lake Game Area : 1,257 acres owned by the Iowa DNR. Hunting, fishing, hiking, and a boat ramp access are among the features. Target range available. Park ranger in residence.
- Milroy’s Access : This six acre tract provides fishing access to the Cedar River, as well as a picnic area.
- Hoefle-Dulin Area : 62 acres includes fishing, a boat landing, electrical lighting, well water, rest rooms, picnicking, playground, shelter house, camping and hiking.
- Benton City-Fry Area : This 39 acre site provides fishing, a boat landing, electrical lighting, well water, rest rooms, picnicking, playground, shelter house and camping.
- Wildcat Bluff Area : A boat landing, rest rooms, and well water are provided to enhance the fishing, picnicking, camping, and hiking activities.
- Pleasant Creek State Recreation Area : 410 acre lake with its surrounding area developed as a multi-use recreational activity. Swimming, beach, picnicking, hiking, camping, horseback and snowmobile trails are available. Park ranger in residence.
- Atkins Roundhouse Area : This 85-acre Game Management Area has 4 miles of trail great for biking.
- Hannen Park : A 45-acre lake providing swimming, beach, picnicking, hiking, fishing, playground, shelter houses and hot shower facilities. Park ranger in residence.
- Old Creamery Nature Trail : Although it is still in the early stages of development, the Old Creamery Nature Trail hold promise for outdoor enthusiasts who want to enjoy nature walks and bicycle rides away from the buzz of traffic. When completed, the trail will extend from Vinton to Garrison on to Dysart, covering a distance of 15 miles.
- Warren H. Pangborn : 30 acres. Nicely timbered area providing hiking and many lovely wildflowers that bloom yearly.
- County Home Wildlife Area : 27 acres. This area is filled with switch grasses, which provide nesting and cover for our ground-dwelling birds. The are provides hunting and hiking.
5:30 pm Meet & Greet for the Iowa Valley... @ Belle Plaine Area Museum
Meet & Greet for the Iowa Valley... @ Belle Plaine Area Museum
Oct 8 @ 5:30 pm
Come and learn about the Iowa Valley Scenic Byway! What is it? Where does it go? How does it help my business or organization? Iowa Valley Resource Conservation & Development manages the byway project.[...]
9:00 am Urbana Farmer’s Markets @ Urbana Community Center
Urbana Farmer’s Markets @ Urbana Community Center
Oct 10 @ 9:00 am – 11:00 am
When you buy locally in Urbana, IA, directly from Urbana area markets and farms, you help support your local Urbana economy. In return, you will get the freshest, best-tasting food available and help reduce the[...]
10:00 am 4th Annual Flaughless 5K @ Riverside Park
4th Annual Flaughless 5K @ Riverside Park
Oct 10 @ 10:00 am
Memorial event for U.S. Army soldier and Vinton native Dan Flaugh, is five days away and on track for meeting – and exceeding – the fundraising goal of at least $10,000 for Wounded Warrior Project[...]